- Over 25 years of professional experience in investment banking, research, acquisitions, operations, consulting and entrepreneurship.
- 14 years of investment, research, and analysis experience as a top ranked research analyst and as an investment banker.
- 6 years of operating experience as both a senior executive in charge of strategy and corporate development and as a founding CEO and entrepreneur.
President and COO
- 14 years of investment banking experience as an investment banker at BMO Nesbitt Burns, National Bank Financial, Yorkton Securities, and Research Capital.
- 5 years of investment experience as a senior investment manager at Working Ventures Canadian Fund.
- 6 years of commercial banking experience with National Westminster Bank of Canada, and ANZ Bank Canada.
- Corporate advisory experience with Aliant Telecom, Mosaid Technologies, and Asia Bio-Chem Group.
Executive Vice President and CFO
- 25 years of experience as an investment banker to growth companies advising them on equity and debt placements, and strategic acquisitions and divestitures.
- Senior investment banker with Mackie Research Capital, Westwind Partners, and Yorkton Securities.
- 86 lead managed equity offerings for 56 companies, including eight IPOs which collectively raised $1.5 billion.
- Past Chair of Ottawa based BioteCanada, Canada’s national association of biotechnology companies.
Tom Astle, CFA, P.Eng.
- 20+ years of equity research and investment experience at firms including Difference Capital, Merrill Lynch, and National Bank.
- Tom brings over 20 years’ experience in equity research and has been a top ranked analyst for most of career. Prior to joining Difference, Tom ran research departments for 6 years at independent dealers which were recognized in several awards for stock picking ability.
- As a technology analyst, Tom has lead top ranked teams at major firms including Merrill Lynch and National Bank Financial. At Merrill Lynch, he led a global team that spanned three continents. Tom has covered many Canadian and US technology stocks over his career and presided over several of the key cycles the sector has seen. He holds both a CFA and P.Eng. designation.
- Chief Executive Officer and a director of Quinsam Capital Corporation a public investment company.
- Director of AcuityAds Holdings Inc., Omni-Lite Industries Canada, Inc., Quinsam Opportunities I Inc., The Tinley Beverage Company Inc. and California Nanotechnologies Corp.
- Former portfolio manager of the Matrix Strategic Small Cap Fund and the Matrix Small Companies Fund.
- Former Managing Director and Deputy Manager of Research at CIBC World Markets.
- Master of Business Administration from Harvard Business School and a Bachelor of Commerce from Queen’s University.
- Joseph Canavan was Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Assante Wealth Management November 2009. Assante is a national wealth management company with $27 billion in assets under administration, for over 300,000 clients across Canada.
- Founder, President and CEO of Synergy Asset Management, acquired by CI Financial in October 2003. Launched GT Global Canada in 1994. GT Global is now part of AIM Trimark.
- Mr. Canavan was awarded “Person of Influence of the Decade” at the Canadian Investment Awards in 2004.
- Mike Cooke has spent the last 10 years rescuing businesses having financial difficulties as a consultant plus advising/coaching CEOs and Presidents of Canadian and US companies.
- For 20 years Mike was a senior corporate officer responsible for multiple business operations. In all these roles Mike consistently achieved superior operating results.
- Mike, has been responsible for and consultant to, businesses in a multitude of industries, including manufacturing, distribution, food processing, and mining, plus a key role in the development of Greenfield operations in food processing.
- An entrepreneur and angel investor who has invested in over 40 companies in various sectors including life sciences, mining and entertainment and was involved in an operational or oversight capacity in many of them.
- Founder and President of SHI Consulting a – a global life sciences strategy consulting firm focussing on large-scale, multi-stakeholder, global initiatives
- Is a board member of the Young President Organization’s Ontario Chapter and a former winner of the Top 40 under 40 award